Tuesday 28 April 2009

Warm day kart racing

I covered the third round of Ian Lawson's exellent corporate series at Warden Law last weekend, where I was also providing support to my son James who was taking part.

James had a good day finishing 2nd in one of his heats, carving his way through the pack, after starting from the back row of the grid, before eventually lining up on grid 5 for the main final. The problem with racing events though is that some of the reports 'marshals' send to race control tend to have little bearing on what happened.

In James' case he was given a points penalty for allegedly driving into another competitor. The truth was that the "other competitor" was recovering from an 'off', and was driving slowly down the middle of the track. James went for the inside, which is what I would have done, only for the 'snail' to take the racing line, which is a definite 'no-no' in such circumstances, only to bleat about it afterwards. Things go wrong though when a marshal witnesses only half the scene and arrives at the wrong conclusion. I rest my case.

Nevertheless the series is a good one to be associated with, and now forms part of the prestigious Sodi World Series, which gives the 2009 championship some added prestige. Ian also had the new RX250 on display, which he would have let me drive, but my arm injury is not yet ready to be put to the test - wise discretion won over valour!

No comments:

Post a Comment