Monday 5 December 2011

Oliver Rowland - 2011 McLaren Autosport BRDC Award winner


                                        Image copyright www.mikehayden.info.

In an earlier Blog update I wrote about Oliver Rowland, whom I have had the pleasure of knowing ever since he started as a young 8-year old Cadet karter, following some earlier on-track family battles with his dad Dave, who sadly is no longer with us - he would have been one mighty proud parent.  So it gives me pleasure to hear that Oliver picked up the latest McLaren Autosport BRDC 2011 Award last night, in a prize that includes a £100,000 boost to his 2012 season's budget, as well as a McLaren Mercedes Formula 1 test, along with a host of other prizes.

Oliver has had a quick rise to potential stardom since leaving karts (above pic taken at the 2010 Monaco kart cup when we last met), and especially this year when his growing CV was boosted by finishing the 2011 season as the Formula Renault UK runner-up.  It was an effort that the 19-year old found was recognised by the Award judging panel, whom he also had to further impress during the recent track and interview tests, which ultimately led to the presentation of this prestigious Award. 

Oliver has always been a young driver willing to speak, although on this occasion he perhaps had not been expecting to be declared the winner.  "I don't know what to say," he said after hearing the news.  "It's been a difficult year for me. I lost someone very close to me in Martin Hines, who passed away this year.  He's helped me for six or seven years.  I've had lots to learn this year in my first year of Formula Renault.  I have learned a lot and now I'm here.  I just can't believe it."

On his way to winning the McLaren Autosport BRDC Award, Oliver had to better the man who actually took the Formula Renault UK championship ahead of him, Alex Lynn, the talented Tom Blomqvist.

As the latest winner Oliver joins an impressive list of former winners, which to name but a few include 2009 Formula 1 World Champion Jenson Button, former grand prix winner and ITV commentator David Coulthard, IndyCar champion Dario Franchitti, and Peugeot sports car star (and ex-F1 driver) Anthony Davidson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment